After participating in Harry Potter Month, where fanfiction counted for House Points, this year, I’ve wanted a reading challenge for fanfiction. Since I haven’t found an active one for 2017 or 2018, I’m creating one.
Unlike the traditional publishing of books today where the complete book is published at one time, fanfiction mostly relies of serial publishing. Serial publishing in fanfiction creates the more unique problem of what you’re going to do with stories that aren’t finished. To better explain, these are the reasons for my preference for a chapter-by-chapter challenge than a completed-story challenge:
- Some stories are incomplete or abandoned;
- Some stories are in-progress and might not be finished by the end of 2018;
- Some stories are super long (e.g., 150 chapters) or contain a series of books/stories under one title;
- You might be in the middle of one or several stories right now, so you can start in the middle.
I would also like to give everyone an excuse to stop reading a fanfic that you’re hating.
Since I can’t find any specific stats about how many chapters or stories are read in a given time period, I am basing these levels on what I estimate that I have read in the year and on the results of what was read during Harry Potter Month (you can also find my fanfic results here). I am also trying to keep in mind how much I vaguely remember reading when I was into reading fanfiction daily.
Ragdoll – 20-49 chapters
Sphynx – 50-99 chapters
Cabbit – 100-199 chapters
LaPerm – 200-299 chapters
Tuxedo – 300-399 chapters
Cheshire – 400+ chapters
Bragging rights? Prizes aren’t that motivating to me, and I’m not sure what prize would work best for the diverse range of fanfiction readers on the planet. However, I can offer you some pretty graphics for winning this! (Forthcoming.)
- Bloggers: You must sign up by announcing it in a post and linking to it in the sign-up linky below. This sign-up can be in its own post or in a post of other challenges. Non-bloggers: You can set your goal in the comments below or on any social media platform (so long as you link-up to that post).
- When you sign up, please link back to this blog. You are free to use the challenge button in your posts.
- The fanfiction can be from any fandom.
- Fanfics that made it into mainstream publishing do not count. Examples: Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James or Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige.
- If you happen to read a chapter/fanfic twice this year, the second read does not count for this challenge. If you read a chapter/fanfic in a previous year, you may read it once in 2018. Example: If you read this story in 2016, you may read it once in 2018 and have it count for this challenge.
- If there happens to be another reading challenge that involves fanfiction, your fanfics can count for both. (Also, I am interested if these challenges exist.)
- Since this is a relaxed challenge, you are not required to review the fanfics you read. If you would like to, you can link up the stories you have read (completely or partially) in the quarterly linkies so that others can see what you’re reading.
- The Sign-up Linky closes on December 1, 2018, at 11:59 p.m. MST, so you can only sign-up up to this date.
Quarterly Fanfic Link-up Posts
Use the Linky below to sign up!
If you have any questions, feel free to ask.