As you know, I just finished reading Blood Promise by Richelle Mead. I’ve been thinking about certain events in this novel, particularly Dimitri’s nonstop attempts to convince Rose to be awakened. This made me think: what would I (or you) do if the love of my life or soul mate offered to make me immortal just like him (or her)? Since we know what Strigoi are, let’s hypothetically say that this is what was being offered: to be awakened as a Strigoi. Let’s look at the pros and cons of actually choosing to be awakened (from a human stand point).
- Spending eternity with the one you love, assuming neither of you get killed.
- Eternal youth (depending on whatever age you were).
- Incredible strength.
- Incredible speed.
- Eyesight at night is like eyesight in daylight.
- Increased sensitivity in the five senses (taste, smell, hearing, sight, and touch).
- The longer you are a Strigoi, the stronger you get.
- Never sleeps.
- Immortality (quite frankly, I don’t want to be on Earth forever).
- If the one you love (assuming Strigoi can even love, which I doubt) is killed, you’ll be all alone.
- Having to drink blood, usually killing someone in the process.
- Can’t see your reflection in the mirror (what a pain if you’re trying to put on make-up or do your hair).
- Red ring around the eyes (clear sign that you are not human).
- Will never see the sun again, unless you’re commiting vampire suicide.
- Just plain being evil.
- Always seeking power.
- Never sleeps.
Let’s say that you’re in Rose’s position (except for Dimitri’s threat of a forced awakening). The Strigoi person that you love has give you one of two choices. Would you rather be a Strigoi, or dead?