- a covered walk, especially in a religious institution, having an open arcade or colonnade usually opening into a courtyard.
- a courtyard, especially in a religious institution, bordered with such walks.
- a place of religious seclusion, as a monastery or convent.
- any quiet, secluded place.
- life in a monastery or convent.
- to confine in or as if in a monastery or convent.
- to confine in retirement; seclude.
- to furnish with a cloister or covered walk.
- to convert into a monastery or convent.
- Twenty-eight stalls selling sweet regional delights fill this bazaar, housed in the corridors of an old cloister.
- They cloister themselves, and encourage their husbands and brothers to join the movement.